Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AE Lag quickfix, Tutorial on how to configure and use ramdisk relating to AE
Lord of darkness
post Jan 23 2014, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,148

We've all had it, the inevitable lag such a joy to behold. What was weird is that it appeared to me to be hardware related, huh I thought. I'm running an Intel core i5 4670K with 16GB DDR3 1600mhz, Sapphire r9 290 and I have no lag with anything else. Confused I left this for a couple months but now I'm back to curious as to why. poor coding? probably but it is very old maybe its my 72k rpm HDD, possibly. maybe when I upgrade to an SSD. but this is a quick fix and if you have like my laptop does a HP n008sa which has 8gb ram and intel hd 4k and still the odd hardware lag

This is a fix for hardware related problems only and it will not help if it's because of your internet connection (but it may help a little)

You must have at least 850MB of free DRR2 or 3 RAM. Higher is better

Download and install RAMDisk freeware as long as you don't go over 4GB (which for the purposes of AE is more than adequate)

Install the usual way, Accepting EULA etc

Once fully installed it may or may not open the configuration tool if it didn't feel free to do so now. Once it has opened click on the view tab and select advanced. Now you should have a tab that says "settings" click it. enter 1024 for 1GB or just 850MB will do. Now at this point you can if you want select the load/save option and get it to reload it to the ram everytime you restart your computer as ram is volatile and will not save on shutdown. for the purposes of AE its rather pointless as for me it only takes me less than a minute to load the entire AE directory to RAM so not a big deal.

once you have selected the amount of RAM you want to use just keep the auto selected type of FAT (auto) now click start ramdisk it will set it up now and it should automatically launch a pop up saying new HDD found if it did good if it didn't your going to have to restart your computer on restart it will be there.

now just go to your program files and right click the pixel mine folder and copy or highlight and CTRL C. Then go to your computer open up the new HDD and click CTRL V or right click and paste depending on your ram will effect how long it takes but no matter what it will still be quick as DDR2 is still far superior to any traditional HDD once its in you can just open up pixelmine launcher and your done. loading times, bank entries anything should run fine now as its running it directly from memory and not searching your HDD for the data

Please not everytime you restart your comouter you will have to recopy and paste it back to the drive ramdisk (unless you've created a save and load file) is on but you do not have to do any of these steps again as RAMDisk will start on start up and remember size ETC. this doesn't really effect my PC as its never turned off but as I have said even my laptop transfers all of the pixelmine data in under a minute so its not a big deal.

FPS should also go up

on another note you can also make google chrome, firefox and IE to save all temp files, browsing history and usage to this drive which means on restart their will be no trace of any usage from these browsers which is great for privacy

Comments/Questions are welcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Windows only instructions
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 01:24 PM