Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dear PMG, Open Letter to Pixel Mine Games
Behinx
post Sep 10 2018, 01:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,139

First of all, thank you for maintaining AE over all these years. It will always hold a special place in my heart as my first major video game addiction. You've lent many a yacht to my therapists over the years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/AE_biggrin.gif)

Pleasantries aside, I have an important message for you. I've played this game for over half of my life. I began playing at age 13, and am now 31. I've seen it change and evolve a ton. I remember when DS came out, and the game completely changed. Most of the things which were so alluring about this game were completely removed. I pursued it nevertheless as there were new aspects which intrigued me, but mostly for the community. These days there are members of this community who are closer to me than my own blood relations. These days, AE functions as a bloatware chat room for me.

I see the mistakes you made, and I want to caution you against making them again. In classic troll style, I have a list of the ways the DS update ruined this game.

-◙- Removal of hooking. I get that you didn't like it, but there were so many other ways to approach your concerns without slaughtering this classic game mechanism. There was something so thrilling about hooking a creature 5 times your level and pounding away at it slowly with a bow/MM. It was terrifying because if another spawned or if it got loose, you were quickly going to be 1-shot to death. This risk had great reward, and this was a classic part of this game.

-◙- General attitude of the customer service. Even though I had played this game for many years and put hundreds of dollars into my account, when it was hacked OE practically laughed at me and told me I was SoL because I had let a friend onto my account. Ever heard of the Art of Service buddy? Perhaps it's time to incorporate some additional security checks? You will be pulled from Steam if you continue to treat people as I have been treated.

-◙- Tradeskill Knowledge Check. This is the most painful bulky annoying mechanism in any game I have ever played. In fact, it deserves a sublist of all the ways it is terrible.
-> The coding is horrible. The boxes are too close. I'm not saying I have the expertise you all do, but while I was attaining Information Systems degree, we learned about accessibility of interfaces, and the original Xerox copier's interface gives this one a run for its money.
-> Does not allow you to change your selection: if you were already clicking on something else when it pops up and you accidentally click the wrong box as a result, you fail.
-> Tradeskills were already monotonous enough in this game, with low rewards compared to combat and were extremely time consuming and tedious. This is like the feces icing atop the garbage cake.

I hope you all know I give you hell because I care. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/AE_blush.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/AEClaugh.gif) My friends and I keep one another in line by calling each other on our ****, and I appreciate the same in return.

Ultimately, I still respect each of you for your contributions, and I do appreciate the spirit behind what you're doing here. Yet, please, as you're moving forward in today's world, consider your players. Perhaps ask us what we want to happen - instead of just dictating to us what you're going to do and saying deal with it.

My gratitude for your time,
Behinjamind Michael

/SoapBox
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mangor
post Sep 11 2018, 01:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,429

I really don't get the massive love people have for pre-DS.

Hooking was the worst, it removed the purpose of it being multi-player. If you really loved it that much well most of the worthwhile bosses in the game can be bugged now so why you want to kill individual bosses super slow.

Tradeskill check - well if you have an IS degree why not code your way around it.... You can cancel it if you get 1 wrong (press "V" twice). What "exactly does the boxes are too close" mean - you can't click the box you intend to?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2018 - 06:48 PM