Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> PvP Level Protection Griefing, Explaining various ways level protection helps griefing
Norco
post Jun 8 2020, 11:20 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 493

PvP Level Protection Griefing - Full credit goes to Biffa for this. I just made it look pretty.

First off maybe we want to define what H should and shouldn't be. It's the PvP server, it should be more hardcore than L but not some crazy psycho server that can only enjoyed by a few. There need to be relevant PvP experiences for players of all levels. What it shouldn't really be is a place for players to level before jumping to L with no impact.

PvP Protection Rules
Next letís define the current rules.
- You can't attack a player 20 levels lower than you
- You can currently attack a player upto +-20 levels without issue.
- If you attack a player more than 20 levels higher or lower you temp
- If you kill a player more than 20 levels lower they will not drop their backpack

As with any rule there are ways these are twisted to give advantages that shouldn't really be there:

Town Guardian Blocking
When taking over towns nobody really tanks the Town Guardian(TG) in his room, it usually has too many guards and is often too close to the spawn gate. The idea is to pull him into a room with 1 door or pull him somewhere outside of town that isn't nodrop and isn't close to the spawn. It is possible to use a low level char to block the TG in his room. Either a guy <L20 or a guy who is low enough level (say 80) that anybody attacking them temps - and usually they are about 10-15 seconds from the spawn gate.

Low level ressing
So you have just slain all your enemies and are rekilling them as they run back to their bodies. Then a Level 12 guy runs in and starts resurrecting(ressing) them. At tougher hunting spots this can possibly be done with guys upto Level 85 and if you attack you temp. A variant might be a low level mage healing.

Low level scouting
Similar to the low level ressing problem you set a trap and in runs a noob to scout out how many you have, what builds etc - and you can't do a thing about it.

Low levels as Spawn Increase loaders
I guess you can work it out now. My spawn increase(si) loader is level 6.

Low level dropping/aggroing
You are setting up for a boss and in runs a Level 80 and drops on you. If you try and net them or take their speed you will temp. This can be used to really good effect at pallus when you are setting up to go kill him and some mid-level guy runs in and aggroes him which gets the whole party deathtouched. Abuse the fact you need to temp to kill that guy or take their speed.

Probably others I forgot about or maybe don't even know.

Final thoughts
There are ways of mitigating most these issues but they are pure grief play for the most part. Sure protect low levels from the high level guys, but I think maybe accounts should have a flag that once you get a high level char on any server you can't claim to be a noob and many of those protections go away.

I do think genuine new players deserve LOTS more protection than they get now BUT I think alts of high level chars shouldn't get that and really who would feel guilty about killing my Level 70 with your 110 - you shouldn't because I know the game but that's a two way street and if you have a Level 110 on L and have played for 15 years no excuses about your poor Level 75 on Heroes.

As stated at the top, full credit goes to Biffa for this.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Norco   PvP Level Protection Griefing   Jun 8 2020, 11:20 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th November 2020 - 07:59 PM