Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2 new players.
pruck
post Sep 17 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,000

Well, I'm not 100% new. I've played this game on and off for years and years. However I forget most of it, and was looking for some guidance.

My girlfriend and I are thinking about starting playing here. What sort of costs are we looking at to fully enjoy playing on the PVP server? I heard something about expansions a while back, not sure if those are still around.

She would like to be a mage. I enjoy PVP, but I'd like to enjoy hunting with her as well. Could 2 pure mages do any good hunting together, or even a archer/mage combo? I just know keeping up with people as a warrior is rough in pvp as far as I can remember, and if I remember right, there was also an issue being a archer and fighting PVP. Something like not shooting while moving or something?

If I did go with a warrior class, how hard is it to tank things to keep them from hitting her? Is there a shared EXP? Will she tear through things too much for me to level equally with her?

Is the community any good? People still left? Any chance AE will be advertising anytime soon or anything of that sort to bring in more people? I remember when this game had a pretty nice fan base. Now it seems less than active.

Are there any outstanding bugs/glitches/ect I should know about before even playing, things that make the game not really worth playing, that don't have any plans to be fixed?

Any other random information you'd like to throw in would be nice. This is all I can think of as of right now. Hope to hear back soon!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saie
post Sep 18 2011, 05:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,516

All expansions cost 649 tokens which is less than 30. (40-60$???). If you don't want to spend that much right away... then just play a little without them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) You dont need all of the expansions anyway at the start (construction and sands of creation tend to have more high level things in them).

I think you'd do just fine with any builds together. I'd go for archer/mage combo, just because I like those builds myself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) With that combo you could both do range attacks and plus, str dex build can basicly use every weapon class if you want to tank. (of course it wont be as good a tank as a pure warrior would be......)
You get exp for doing damage and the killbonus exp is shared based on how much damage you did. So, atleast a little shared exp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It seems that currently in pvp the archers have the edge over others due to high dps (damage per second) and range. While there is some - sadly, pvp below lvl100 is rather rare, because there isnt that many new players and the server is missing an active lvl0-100 playerbase.

Theres still people left and hopefully a lot more will come whenever the legendary update is coming.

+Quote Post
Ashleigh
post Sep 18 2011, 07:56 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,450

QUOTE(pruck @ Sep 17 2011, 09:22 PM) *
What sort of costs are we looking at to fully enjoy playing on the PVP server? To ultimately be competitive in PvP mid/end game your going to need all the expansions as this provides access to better gear.

, and if I remember right, there was also an issue being a archer and fighting PVP. Something like not shooting while moving or something? Your not able to shoot whilst moving (however it is possible to shoot whilst moving IF you are moving in the same direction of your target BUT are in melee range). There is also a useful technique for archers in PvP called step shooting - timing your weapon to fire in between steps to maximise the number of arrows you can fire before the target is able to run out of range.

If I did go with a warrior class, how hard is it to tank things to keep them from hitting her? Is there a shared EXP? Will she tear through things too much for me to level equally with her? Aggro in this game is quitee simple. The mobs will go for the player who has the most damage output towards it. Mobs also are attracted to healers - but usually only if the healer heals more hp than damage is dealt to the monster. This aspect of the game should come naturally after a few death defying moments (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Is the community any good? People still left? Any chance AE will be advertising anytime soon or anything of that sort to bring in more people? I remember when this game had a pretty nice fan base. Now it seems less than active. I don't play in EST/CST - so the game is not very active for me unless I log in at about 4am GMT. This is on Heroes though - do expect an active population on either server at peak times, but don't expect to see many other low levels roaming about (on H atleast - I think L has a more active lower level playerbase. Both communities can be great fun, but H seems to attract most the jerks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Are there any outstanding bugs/glitches/ect I should know about before even playing, things that make the game not really worth playing, that don't have any plans to be fixed? The only one I can think of which could be a put off is the mage spell cursor flicker bug. Basically if you use your hotkeys to quickly swap spells, sometimes the cursor changes back to the ordinary mouse if you try make the switch too fast. This can be really frustrating at times but it's really easy to avoid by giving a lesser amount of time before switching spells (only like half a second) Another bug which frustrates many mages is a bug which makes your hotbars 'grey out'. This applies to items only (not spells) and happens when you have a stackable item in a container, and then you loot another one of them items. For some reason the game trips out and thinks you no longer have that item, so therefore greys out the hotbar. An easy fix for this though is to re-open the container that item is in.

Any other random information you'd like to throw in would be nice. This is all I can think of as of right now. Hope to hear back soon!This game can be real fun if you mix with the right people, take it at your own pace. Don't rush endgame - you'l soo get bored of the grinding if you do. Good luck:)

I'd highly reccomend starting on Legends until you can get back to grips with the game. A lot has changed over the years and the PvP rules can be quite daunting (factions, looting, temp etc). However if you do decide to play on H server you are able to toggle PvP off until level 105 if you wish (and visa versa, but if I remember right the toggle has a 1 hour cooldown). I suggest legends purely for the more active (also friendly from what i've heard) community - joining H servers server wide chat (sanctuary) will be a huge put off to anybody who has a positive attitude. (sanctuary chat has made me loose 90% of my faith in the human race, lol).

Pss: Legends server wide chat is 'legends' from what I remember.

Two mages would be a devastating combo..however an archer and a mage would have it's plus points too (high dex of an archer gives the ability to dodge a lot of monster attacks).

Yes archers are dominant in PvP atm - but that is only because of a flawed game mechanic (too hit rate is too high, you rarely miss) so don't count on this. I expect a lot of archers (and even more people who rely on this flawed mechanic) to orb to a different build when/if this ever gets fixed (even though the issue has been raised and OE recognises it).

Mages are reallly fun to play and it's probably safe for me to say that there easiest to gear up (top end anyways - mage gear is easier to come by than str/dex and dex/con gear - expect this to change with patch correcting bows)

+Quote Post
Zafar
post Sep 18 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,405

2 con mages would be perfect to level from scratch on H(if u like pvp). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
SERVENT
post Sep 19 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,925

PM Servent on H or Pestilence on L for any ingame help or questions. I would be happy to give ya a hand if ya need.

I enjoy game play on both servers and if ya play on H just try to stay less flaged while hunting and you should be able to lvl up just fine.

+Quote Post
Afkaserious
post Sep 19 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,631

Mages all the way.

+Quote Post
Knoll
post Oct 1 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 528

don't go dexmage

+Quote Post
Midnight
post Oct 3 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 598

QUOTE(Knoll @ Oct 1 2011, 11:06 PM) *
don't go dexmage

He doesn't want competition.

+Quote Post
Dyrankor
post Oct 4 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 761

Welcome (back)!

+Quote Post
sholeen
post Oct 23 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 389

Care Bear Board

click the link below to view what weapon packages are available, or leave a message for Care Bear if you need anything in particular.

Care Bear Packages

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th December 2019 - 02:56 AM