Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Closed TopicStart new topic
> @Fuji
Seph
post Jul 22 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

Ok, so I'm in the middle of attempting to learn Japanese...and your signature intrigued me enough to waste a good 30 minutes trying to figure out what it means.

がんばります

I'm really bad at the whole conjugation thing, but i eventually figured out the root word がんばる. I'm rather proud of myself for being able to read the hiragana in the first place (though it did get ば and ぱ mixed up for a bit), but dang that took forever to decipher (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

As for the top part of your signature, that is Kanji or maybe even not japanese, so I have no clue =P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FujiQ
post Jul 22 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Marketing Manager
Group Icon

Group: Pixel Mine
Member No.: 17

Hey Seph! That's awesome, I had a great time learning Japanese and speaking it when I lived there. It can be a challenge for sure once you get into Kanji, but learning the basics is not too hard at all.

I would say the most important things at first are reading and writing hiragana and katakana. Second would be understanding how verbs are conjugated. Third would be knowing which words are particles and which are not (の、が、に、へ、は、で、と are particles for example).

This website is incredibly useful if you are working on Japanese: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

As for the 感じ in my signature, here it is typed out: 富士急.

+Quote Post
FujiQ
post Jul 22 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #3

Marketing Manager
Group Icon

Here's a song that helped me learn the te form of conjugation; set it to the tune of Santa Claus is coming to town (weird I know but it works if you can figure it out). If it ends in one of the hiragana on the left of the arrow, when conjugated it will go to the hiragana on the right of the arrow. So, がんばる --> がんばって

(He's making a list) う、つ、る --> って
(and checking it twice) む、ぶ、ぬ --> んで
(gonna find) す --> して
(out who's) く --> いて
(naught or nice) ぐ --> いで
(Santa) する --> して
(Claus) くる --> きて
(is coming --> to town) いく --> いって

+Quote Post
Seph
post Jul 22 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #4

LOL

かわいい. 富士 was easy to figure out, but the 急, that one was sneaky. Then I noticed 九 being on the page and it clicked. Wiktionary is my friend btw =)

So you lived in Japan for awhile? That must have been an experience, it probably helps you learn alot better since you don't really have a choice =P I'm using Rosetta Stone since we get that free from work plus various other random internet sources I get my hands on to help out. And ALOT of anime (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif) Although they talk really fast so it's kind of hard for me at this point.

I've just about memorized all of the Hiragana, I only know enough Katakana to spell my name: エリック. The only Kanji I know is 私.

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely have to check that out. The more help I can get, the better =)

+Quote Post
FujiQ
post Jul 22 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #5

Marketing Manager
Group Icon

I took classes for about 2 years before I studied abroad there for four months. I have to say, living there is the best way to learn the language. It's a very context-heavy culture so if you don't know those little clues and tricks it can be very frustrating trying to figure out what someone is saying.

+Quote Post
MadMac
post Jul 22 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

I had to work with Japanese diplomats for a time when I was stationed in Guam. Never had to worry about learning Japanese, but I can tell you that if the language is anything like the culture it's very confusing. We had to learn a ton of rules just to deal with those folks, and I had to study up on what not to do (for instance, who would have thought that wrapping something in red as a gift would be a bad thing) before a visit. The hardest thing to deal with was when I ran a visit and the head dignitary asked me to dinner with them. I couldn't go because I was too low ranking (only a master sergeant!), and the general I worked for always took my seat...

All in all, the culture is pretty cool. I made some pretty good friends with some of them, and Guam is a huge vacation spot for middle-class Japanese so there were always a lot of folks from there to observe downtown...I've NEVER seen anyone party like those people do in my life before or since...and I kind of miss interacting with that culture.

+Quote Post
FujiQ
post Jul 24 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #7

Marketing Manager
Group Icon

Haha, yeah, your "rank" compared to others is very important; you can be below, equal, or above someone and if you use the wrong way to speak to someone it can be very insulting and rude...that is why they are very concerned with how people organize themselves. When I first went to Japan, for instance, I spoke politely to my host family. At one point I remember them specifically asking me to not speak so formally to them as if it hurt their feelings. But I never spoke casually to my teachers, no matter how well I got to know them. That would have been insulting.

I miss Japan, kinda want to visit some time when I get the chance, but I couldn't live there. I like my cars and anonymity.

+Quote Post
MadMac
post Jul 24 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

The funny thing is that they knew what rank I was, yet they still invited me. I remember my boss saying something about them doing it because I had set everything up and the visit went well. She was a captain, and she couldn't even go, though. It was funny, because they invited the general anyway and I got an invite and they said no way, you can't go...

+Quote Post
SephirothGast
post Jul 27 2008, 06:21 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 907

wow another seph, and he even list japanese too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I love that song btw Fiji (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Seph
post Jul 28 2008, 08:12 AM
Post #10

Ya, I went by Sephiroth WAY back in the day...like when I was playing Warcraft 2 on Kali. Everyone kept calling me Seph for short, so I figured it'd just be easier to truncate it myself =P

+Quote Post
Drake
post Aug 2 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,163

You know I thought that Fire Team was something of the past. But alas, I find that it has come back to bring such joy to my live. And to add to my surprise, Fair Warning and some of my old friends are here.

MadMac, El Guapo, Seph, Leth, my my my, someone pinch me, I must be dreaming.

LOL

Drake
(AKA -DrakeNator , TheAlaskanAssassin)

+Quote Post
El_Guapo
post Aug 2 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 63

Holy ****,

Heya Drake, I was trying to track you down. If you look at www.fireteamhq.com (that was the site we were trying to track everyone down before PM launched the boards) you will see some fun info out there.

Glad to see you popped in. How did you find out about this or were you tracked down. All the info I dug up on you didnt pan out.

Guaps

PS there is a great screenshot of all of NO in the dying days of UK FT I posted on the fireteamhq site. You are in there.

+Quote Post
Cooley
post Aug 15 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 58

(IMG:http://home.columbus.rr.com/usocal/madmac.jpg) <--- mac?

+Quote Post
MadMac
post Aug 16 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Yeah, but I wear glasses now...

+Quote Post
El_Guapo
post Aug 18 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

And he got his skin lightened like michael jackson

+Quote Post
SephirothGast
post Aug 20 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 907

ive been seph for years :/ so i know how ya feel, ever had people callin ya speh?

+Quote Post
Seph
post Aug 21 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #17

Some of these jackasses from the original Fireteam did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/AE_angry.gif) I don't remember who were the big offenders anymore though, it's been too long. I actually get people calling my Steph and thinking I'm a girl more than anything.

+Quote Post
El_Guapo
post Aug 24 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Yea but for old FT Seph, just look at my sig and remember the good ol days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th December 2019 - 11:15 PM