Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A tale of two games
Behinx
post Apr 11 2020, 08:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,139

At one time there was a story here intended to help the community but due to backlash, it's been removed because evidently respect for the opinions of others is a rare commodity now in this community.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mangor
post Apr 12 2020, 02:30 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,429

I would disagree with a lot of that.

Hooking was just too simplistic and took away one of the most important aspects of the game - the need to interact with others when hunting. I don't see that it adds much to the game but in a form it does exist to this day in the way some of the bosses are bugged - think zule maybe. Now I will argue that that is kind of necessary now because the playerbase is too small to kill zule and others without working around broken mechanics but in a healthy game 10 people would just rock up and kill the bosses properly, and mobs would be hunted by small groups not so much solo.

IWG bought this game at a time when there had been no updates for a long long while. When they took over there was a noticeable flourish of development. Some of that wasn't great but without them there would have been almost nothing. No TR onwards. Not all the developments have been perfect but I don't think there are many parts of the game I would like to outright lose.

Crafting from talenite was awful, the game's darkest moment. When p5 came out me and my hunt partner hunted FTs constantly and on sanc, on the whole server approx 1 P5 dropped every 2 weeks. We got 2 of the first 3 and it was a hugely prestigious item. When they became craftable you could mine for 4-6 hours maybe, hand the tal to a guy who had macroed smelting, hand it on to a guy who had macroed forging and voila - best end-game weapon in the game. I stopped hunting and went mining and how the hell is that a good thing?

All the stuff in your 2nd para, I'm shocked you would think an of those points. Macro checks are bad because? if anyone wants to macro then just put a bit more effort into your macros. the whole trade system is diabolically dull but I would say with the taskmasters they have got the right balance - albeit the TMs aren't all equal.

As for killing the tradeskill community - lmao. The easiest way to make tokens in this game is to craft items. GSPs are probably top of that list but GHP, sails were mentioned on disc, regens, cannon balls, arrows. Perfect balance IMO in that key items need hunting, consumables are crafted. I mean do you literally want to remove any need to leave the bank?

Item durability - what's the problem there? Try on H where most people no drop stags, die with them on (to pvp more than mobs maybe) and get double damage. Not a problem, you have to keep moving forward, getting new gear and replacing it.

multiple monster effects - you really wrote that? For people who venture out the bank the challenge is in handling that kind of stuff. How dull when everything was the same, and at least now some thought is required.

Timers - for the most part spot on. You get why it's 10h yeah - so it moves to different timezones, so different guilds have the advantage some days. How about camp it 1 day, or stick the guild list online and when a load of new players suddenly logged in go check if they are doing the boss - a guild on H thought I had a spy cos I was always on the money knowing when they were doing to the boss and didn't realise I was just watching their guild list.

Guilds are dynamic, and most guilds are happy to take players who are capable. If you want to sit in some noobie guild but still have a run at big bosses, well you can't have everything.

Anyway what end-game gear are you even talking about. E, EEO, Neptune, GD, tyrian drop from mobs so I guess that just leaves pally and some odds and ends. Nobody really monopolises GoL and dragon bosses are spawned. So which end-game bosses are you talking about, or is it just Anby? No monopoly, there is a marketplace and you can buy gear or trade for it. A week ago I found a guy with an item I wanted - and he didn't sell it to me. Yesterday I had an item he wanted, we traded - both happy. If you have something somebody wants there are always options.

What appears to be a problem with L is the lack of evolution. Something works and it never changes, no reason. On H one side does something and the other side finds a way to break that, 1st side improves, 2nd side improves back and so on. If I transferred my H anby-blocking shenanigans to L I would be banned in a flash, I would have to be cos if I wasn't half the players would have quit after 2 weeks and nobody would be doing anby. Vint/Gol can be broken so easy, log in kill the block. Just got to be in the room to mess up zule, then drag him round. Not the L way maybe but these are options that are there, were used in the past and are why guilds are accommodating outsiders. Try thinking around the problem.

Devs have rl. I often intend to do stuff but rl gets in teh way and I find out I want to do stuff but the motivation isn't really there. Guess devs are the same. The servers are stiff switched on - best we can realistically expect.

+Quote Post
Behinx
post Apr 12 2020, 03:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,139

Thanks for your response. I apologize for my mistake in posting it. It was not my intention to upset anyone. I took it down so that it doesn't bother anyone else.

There's nothing about any video game that has ever challenged me - and I've played a few. My life as a healthcare worker during a pandemic is challenging enough right now - I come to video games for community and cooperation. That's why I've predominantly done trade skills in AE: because they're relaxing, and it feels good to know that I am establishing providership for my community, albeit a digital one.

I'm sad to see that isn't a direction AE is going in, but I'm glad to have learned it now before I invest any more decades into it.

+Quote Post
Mangor
post Apr 13 2020, 04:37 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,429

I think there's a bit of a kneejerk reaction here. I wasn't upset by your opinion, I doubt anybody would be bu I'd be surprised if many agree on some of the points.

You are right that within the context of a sandpit game people can contribute as much or as little as they want, in what areas they want, and perhaps the sign of a good game is the broad appeal. I do think the crafting aspect has been least affected by the passage of time - tradeskills were never my thing but years ago I realised the absence of people who could make stuff meant that I had to adapt and be able to do them myself or one day I wouldn't have pots/arrows/sails/cannon balls etc.

The fact is though you can make a load of those items and sell them - if I kill almost any mob it's likely at least 95% of drops are SI fodder and because everyone has everything it often takes hours/days to get an item worth 100t.

AE is going in no direction fast. The touted direction is steam and quest log - you don't like that direction?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2020 - 11:21 AM