Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gentlemen of Fortune, The Untold stories of Armen Scaliot, infamously known as Scalo
Tempester
post Aug 20 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 335

(IMG:http://heroesinn.com/images/projects/gof.gif)

Recent incursions into the Krythan Crypt, northeast of Varg have uncovered a journal, suspected of belonging to Brother Bejerot of The Abbey who disappeared some months ago. As entries are transcribed they will be made public. Authorities believe Bejerot's disappearance and recent disturbances around Varg are connected to the Pirate Lord, Scalo.

An excerpt from a passage entitled, "Pertaining to the Dark Lord, Talazar"

I had an opportunity, for the first time in days, to speak again with Armen. I remind you that I refuse to call him by his trade name, but by his birth name. The reservoir of hope in my soul hopes that by reminding him of his proper name, he might one day change his ways, pull away from the road he currently walks.

"Do you ever wonder if your escapades might attract ill-gotten attention?"

He looked at me queerly, as if I had made no sense at all, "From the authorities?"

"From Talazarian forces, to be specific."

He smiled, almost laughing, "Ah, I understand. No, not at all."

From what I understood and observed of his operations, most of Scaliot's work did not go near regions controlled by the Dark Legions, though every now and then they did have conflicting interests. I had always wondered, seeing as Talazar might not be someone Scaliot would want to be on the wrong side of.

"Is there some agreement of understanding, between you and them?" I feared my question would be too prying, but he didn't seem to mind.

"Agreement? No, they are a rag-tag operation with no clear goals or aspirations. They are commanded by a menacing lord and give the Lotorian authories a good challenge every now and then."

A brave statement, no doubt. It seems like he considers his operation and crew as actually BETTER than that of the Talazarian regime. Now I was curious.

"Surely you don't consider Lord Talazar without aspirations, without purpose! He strives clearly for the destruction of Lotor's kingdom at every opportunity."

"Talazar himself has his issues. He has his passions. His flames. But that's all he has. He is a chaotic engine of passion, anger and vengeance."

"You don't consider those something to be wary of?"

"He has his burning ambitions, but that's all he has, and the one thing about flames is they eventually burn out. They all consume fuel, they're all perishable. One day Talazar's will be extinguished. They lack efficiency and due to that, I don't consider wariness necessary."

"You think Lotor will defeat Talazar?"

He chuckled, as if the concept of Lotor prevailing over the Dark Lord was a silly thought, "Talazar will end up defeating himself before Lotor even knows what's going on, though they do make a good couple. It's all a pleasant dance, though don't ask me who's the leader and who's the follower. Unfortunately, I don't have time to attend to festivities."

Now he just seemed vain and blind to the fact that the Talazarian forces could cause problems for his operations if he increased raids and theft in their territory. I pressed him for answers, "Why is it you, especially you in your profession, do not seem to consider Lord Talazar the danger that the rest of Dransik, including thieves and pirates, do? A Talazarian blade his just as lethal as a Varg Guard's arrow, yet you dismiss them, and even if the legions were as disorganized as you claim, the fury of that Lord could wipe your entire operation from the face of Krythian. Why don't you respect that power?"

He paused. I had thought I caught him off-guard, but taht would be too good to be true. He didn't move, or say anything for a few minutes. Standing there, looking beyond me, deeper into the crypt he remained.

"He is, by nature, unrefined, like unpurified iron. The man within the demon is no doubt rebelling against the dark prison which his soul is in. He has been corrupted. There will always be a struggle withing the creature which is Talazar, and because of that conflict, he will never be the greatest. He isn't even in possession of the power, the power controls him. He is the host, and he is infected. It's a virus, and he is ill. How can a sickly, infected, controlled puppet be worthy of my admiration?"

He paused, as if for a response, but then continued.

"I don't have the time to be caught up in some little conflict from ages ago where some knight got his feelings hurt by some king. They're competing for cities, for land, for who can hold the title of ruler of Dransik. If I was a Lotorian, I'd recognize the Talazarian threat. If I was Talazarian, I'd recognize the Lotorian defiance. So, Brother, you should now recongize that I am not in their little struggle. I compete for much more than whether Gulley flies the Lotorian or Talazarian flag. I could waste my time, fighting for one cause or another, in their little world of control. In that world, Talazar and Lotor are great and powerful, but outside of their illusion, you will see things much differently."

I was beyond comprehension of his last statement. He has said his piece, and though he didn't show it I'm sure somewhere reserved within him he enjoyed my current discomfort, not quite understanding what he had meant by all of that. He had grown bored now, as he had said his piece and had a decent reaction from his audience. He prepared his closing remarks.

"People fear what they don't understand. Once you understand Talazar, you don't fear him. You pity him."

"Do you not want people understanding you, Armen? Because maybe they won't fear you anymore?" I asked, thinking I had a glimpse into a potential crack in his armor.

The smirk spread grimly across the pirate's face. I had seen this smirk, this dark smile, before. The glimpse I thought I had faded quickly. This time, though, the shadows and flames dancing over his face made him seem all the more dark. The true villain. "Those that understand me have oh-so-much more to fear, Brother. You should consider that before continuing on your quest to decipher me, not for my sake, but for your own."

He turned and walked back into the darkness from which he had come. The imperishable flame.

An excerpt from a passage entitled, "The Inferno of Silvest"

One night I had snuck out of my tent towards the small campfire near the western edge of the compound. It was the campfire which Armen "Scalo" Scaliot and his Captains held their private councils at. It had been days of restlessness, idleness and I had learned by now that this was the calm before the storm. Armen was planning something, to be sure. I knew I could do little to step, or prevent this new plan in any way or form, but I needed to know what was to happen. I needed to know what he said in his councils, to understand the man, the beast.

The fire was small, too small for cooking, or even warmth. No flames licked up toward the heavens, and no logs burned. The embers and coals of what once might have been a decent blaze now smoldered. In this devilish light, this reddish haze of wafting smoke and shadows, there sat the Captains, and their Boss.

There was general mumbling and murmuring. Nothing intelligible, but I realized that none of the voices sounded like Armen. He must be there, though. No use of a council without him. He must just be silent. I determined the closest I could get was behind a stack of barrels, filled with apples and other fruits recently "liberated" from the markets of Josody.

The barrels were sealed tight, rolled right of the Josody docks and floated along the shore by men disguised as fishermen. The exact details I do not know, but I will find out. It was too successful for them not to try it again. I hear the authorities searched for the thieves through Gulley and down to the Elven lands, but no sightings of the barrels were ever found. The portal to New Korelth had been guarded so no one even considered looking on Krythan.

The barrels were set on each other, making a low wall for this council to meet in privacy. The blue canvas which has been thrown over the barrels when they were floating behind the row boats was folded and lay at my feet. I used it to make myself comfortable, for I figured I would be here for a while. Even if I was found missing, no alarm would be made. The walls were too high and the entrances all guarded. These brigands all knew that, and knew I had no chance of escaping. They would merely round me up and give me over to Scalo in the morning, thinking he would give me a lashing.

As long as he didn't find me here...

[to be continued soon]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tempester
post Aug 29 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Updated with first part of "The Inferno of Silvest"

+Quote Post
Corgan
post Sep 15 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,495

Very nice Temp!

+Quote Post
Tempester
post Sep 15 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I r has writing hoof.

+Quote Post
Xenox
post Sep 17 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 443

That, my friend, is a beautiful banner. Your story does not interest me much, I just like the artwork. =P

+Quote Post
Tempester
post Sep 17 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

lol

+Quote Post
Mystic
post Sep 17 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 307

I r happy. I r read.. I r even more amused!

+Quote Post
BLARGH
post Sep 19 2008, 03:36 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 683

Yeah, that banner is frigging sweet. Nice story too.

+Quote Post
Tempester
post Sep 19 2008, 03:42 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I will be posting up the actual "first" chapter this weekend. Mrs Tempcow needs to review it, and I need to draft it a couple more times.

Just, FYI, I'm going to eventually get this published...eventually, I hope, so please stay tuned. I have an epic story in meh mind, that I've explained in part to a few people, but it'll take a while for meh to write.

+Quote Post
Mystic
post Sep 19 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 307

Published? I r buy it when it r released then, yusyus.

+Quote Post
Tempester
post Sep 19 2008, 06:07 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Yus, I r has hopes. I know it's silly cause it's just fan fic, but it's a lil more than that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I hope to have a decent draft done by ToF, kinda release both around teh same time.

Oh, and ty on teh banner comments.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2020 - 12:09 PM